Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Testimonial from @techstars startup madness

Picturetypesquare

I registered for Workables to test the site even though I believed it to be far inferior to Cheek'd both as an idea and a potential business. The first thing I noticed was that visually it's not very attractive. It's pretty bare and it doesn't do a whole lot. The second thing I noticed is that as far as I can tell there are only 10 people who have ever used it. At least I could only find 10 things posted that somebody wanted done or was offering to do. I checked all the categories and job listings and didn't see that anyone was using the site. I then asked myself why I would pay $5/mo. for premium functions to do what I could post on Craigslist for free. It seems to be a bad, electronic version of the Pennysaver. 

Cheek'd on the other hand, comes into this competition as a fully-formed and fully-functioning business with a growing user base and on-going sales. The product is versatile and can be customized to the individual, has at least two different ways of generating revenue and has been expanding globally offering cards in several languages. Throughout the 5 previous rounds of the competition I've been struck by the negative comments about how someone using Cheek'd cards must lack social skills or that the cards are somehow a crutch. The comments were universally from men, which says alot about what men don't know about dating or interacting with women. (Forgive me the hetero-centric slant, but I can only speak from own experience). The card is a tool for dating just like a good haircut. It offers you a new way to present yourself. It allows you to cast a wide net and have fun in the process. Using a card to get someone's attention has nothing to do with fear of rejection or lack of social ability. It has to do with flirting, allure, mystery and seduction. It's a 21st C. part of the dance. The Cheek'd original concept of combining real life encounters and an on-line experience are already proving successful, which is one of the many reasons Cheek'd should easily win Techstars.

No comments:

Post a Comment